Burlington Northern #9940 @ Lisle, IL on 29 May 1971
BN 9940 photo here
Built in January of 1950, Chicago Burlington & Quincy #9940A was part of that railroads first order for E8As; there were four additional orders which netted the Chicago-based railroad a fleet of 40 2250-hp cab units. The BN merger in March 1970 saw the locomotive become #9940. Sold later to the West Suburban Mass Transit District, it was rebuilt to an E9Au in 1973 and re-numbered 9903. The twin-engined passenger hauler was retired after 40-years of shining the rails between Chicago Union Station and the Aurora suburb. (R. Craig photo)

Return to BN 3-Track Main

Return to The Diesel Shop