Kansas City Southern's "Ghost" Locomotives
KCS E8A 27 photo here
One of only two Fairbanks-Morse roadswitchers on the Kansas City Southern, the H15-44m above had been built for subsidiary Louisiana & Arkansas as the #41. In 1959, The four-axle FM was renumbered KCS 45 and re-engined with a 1750-hp EMD prime mover, thus extending the loco's service life. The large red "KCS" logo that once adorned the hood of the Beloit-built product had been removed at the time of this March 1971 photo. The locomotive's 22-year tenure on the KCS had clearly drawn to a close. (Mac Own photo, R. Craig collection)

Return to KCS Ghosts

Return to The Diesel Shop