|GE 60-Ton Off-Center Cab|
| Carbon Limestone Co. D-11
at Poland Township, Ohio on April 10, 1970
Number D-11 (shown above) was a 60-ton off-center cab. It was built by General Electric in 1941 as US Army 7501; the four-axle switcher, along with sister unit 7506, were mostly assigned to the Brooklyn Army Terminal (Shipyard). The two GEs were sold after WWII to Ringwood Iron Mine of New Hampshire, and subsequently resold to Carbon Limestone. The GEs were driven by a Cooper-Bessemer in-line, eight-cylinder diesel engine, producing 420 horsepower. The 60-tonners were stablemates to a standard gauge Whitcomb 65-Ton Center Cab and a 30-Ton (?) Davenport. Narrow-gauge operations (from mines to crusher) were the domain of two 15-ton, gas-mechanical plymouths and a single 25-ton diesel plymouth. A more detailed roster is available at Carbon Limestone.
R. Craig photo
Return to The Diesel Shop